Keep Your Baby Comfy and Happy
Diaper rash can be caused by irritation from stool or urine; friction from diapers; yeast infection; or an allergic reaction to soap, laundry detergent, fabric softener, baby wipes or lotions. In many cases, it can be prevented. Try these tips:
- Change the diaper as soon as it’s wet or soiled.
- Allow your baby’s skin to dry completely before putting on another diaper.
- Secure diapers loosely to allow airflow.
- Wash your hands before and after changing diapers to prevent spreading germs that cause infections.
- Some babies get rashes often. You can apply a barrier ointment to help prevent irritation. Products containing zinc oxide (such as Desitin) or petroleum (such as Vaseline) are good choices.
- Don’t use powders, such as cornstarch or baby powder.
Source: American Academy of Family Physicians