Ask the Right Questions and Stay Safe
If you take several different medicines, see more than one doctor or have certain health conditions, you and your doctors need to be aware of all the medicines you take to avoid potential problems, such as drug interactions. Before taking a drug, ask your doctor or pharmacist the following questions:
- Can I take it with other drugs?
- Should I avoid certain foods, beverages or other products?
- What are possible drug-interaction signs I should know about?
- How will the drug work in my body?
- Is there more information that you would recommend I read about the drug?
Educate yourself about how to take your medications safely and responsibly. The written information that accompanies your prescription should tell you what the drug is used for and explain possible side effects and potential interactions with other drugs. If you still have questions after reading this information, ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Source: Council on Family Health; U.S. Food and Drug Administration; National Consumers League.