How to Prevent Someone from Driving Drunk
The best way to prevent someone from driving drunk is to make a plan for a sober designated driver, and make sure everyone agrees to it ahead of time. If you are faced with a situation where someone who’s impaired is trying to drive, here are some tips to how to stop him or her:
- Be as non-confrontational as possible
- Suggest alternative ways of getting to their destination – a cab, a sober driver, public transportation.
- Talk a bit more slowly and explain things more fully than if you were speaking to a sober person.
- Explain that you don’t want them to drive because you care and you don’t want them to hurt themselves or others.
- Suggest that they sleep over.
- Enlist a friend to help you or to act as moral support. It’s more difficult to say “no” to two (or three or four) people than one.
- If possible, get the person’s keys, it is far easier to persuade the potential driver when you hold this leverage.
- If all else fails and the person chooses to drive drunk, call law enforcement. It’s better to have a friend arrested than injured or killed.
-Sources: Mothers Against Drunk Driving