Try These Tips for Summer Fun!
You say school has been out for a month now, and the kids are hanging around the house staring at screens of all kinds just a bit too much? It’s time to recharge! Try these tips to get your family eating, moving and enjoying the summer in a healthier way.
- Have fun in the sun! Play outdoors during morning and evening hours to avoid heat exhaustion. Don’t forget the sunscreen.
- Eat a healthy breakfast every morning, then go for a swim, hike or bike ride.
- Add seasonal produce to your family’s meals. Make half of their plates fruit and vegetables.
- Limit screen time on TVs, computers and hand-held devices. Take crafts outdoors. Jump rope or play hopscotch or kickball. Take your kids to a local park or walking path to increase their active time in the summer.
- Hel your kids drink plenty of fluids. Choose water or low-fat milk instead of sugary drinks like soda.
–Source: National Institutes of Health