Plan Ahead and Slow Down
Driving in winter can be challenging. Here are some tips to help keep you safe:
- Keep your tires properly inflated.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- Don’t use cruise control when driving on any slippery road.
If you are driving in the snow:
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. This is the best method to regain traction and/or avoid skids.
- The normal dry-pavement following distance of three to four seconds should be increased to eight to ten seconds in the snow to provide the distance you might need to stop.