Choosing Shoes for Better Foot Health
Wearing comfortable shoes that fit well can prevent many foot problems. Try these tips when shoe shopping:
- Choose a shoe that is shaped like your foot. Styles with high heels or pointed toes can hurt your feet.
- Stand up when trying on shoes to make sure there is about ½ in between your toe and the end of the shoe. Make sure the ball of your foot fits comfortably into the widest part of the hsoe.
- Don’t buy shoes that feel too tight and hope they will stretch.
- Walk in the shoes to make sure they feel right. The heel of the shoe should not slide up and down.
- Soles should give solid footing and not slip. Thick soles cushion your feet when walking on hard surfaces.
—Source: National Institute on Aging