These Nutrition Tips Can Help
There are so many ways to help reduce your changes of developing type 2 diabetes. Check out these suggestions and choose those that work best for you.
- Keep meat, chicken, turkey and fish portions to about 3 ounces.
- Try to be active for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week. Walking is a great way to get started.
- Catch up with friends during a walk instead of by phone.
- Eat more vegetables, fruits and whole grains
- Choose brown rice instead of white rice.
- At fast-food restaurants, try grilled chicken (with skin removed) instead of a cheeseburger.
- Find a water bottle you really like and use it daily.
- Keep a healthy snack with you, such as fresh fruit, a handful of nuts or wholegrain crackers.
- Keep a food diary for a week. It can help you see when you tend to overeat or eat foods high in fat or calories.
- Compare food labels. Choose foods lower in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, calories, salt and added sugars.
Source: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases